“Banned Books Week is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read. Typically held during the last week of September, it highlights the value of free and open access to information. Banned Books Week brings together the entire book community –- librarians, booksellers, publishers, journalists, teachers, and readers of all types –- in shared support of the freedom to seek and to express ideas, even those some consider unorthodox or unpopular.” More information about banned books here.
In honor of Banned Books Week (Sept. 21-27, 2014) we’re giving away the following banned books:
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Giver by Lois Lowry
A Time To Kill by John Grisham
(Giveaway Details will officially be announced on our blog and social media this coming Wednesday).
In the meantime, here are some of WA founder, Racquel Henry’s favorite banned books:
1. Sexy by Joyce Carol Oates
2. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
3. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
5. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
8. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
9. A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry
10. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
11. The Awakening by Kate Chopin
12. Go Ask Alice (Anonymous)
13. Crank by Ellen Hopkins
14. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
15. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
What are some of your favorite banned books?